|“||You know, brother... To me, there's no one more important than you. I like you. I love you! That's why... I'd do anything to make you happy.||”|
—Vincent confesses his feelings to Gilbert.
|Manga | Anime|
|Age||23 (Physically) |
|Height||177 cm (5'9ft)|
|Eyes||Golden (Left) |
|Previous Affiliation||Pandora |
|Relatives||Gilbert Nightray (Brother) |
Bernard Nightray (Foster Father)
Bernice Nightray (Foster Mother)
Fred Nightray (Foster Brother)
Claude Nightray (Foster Brother)
Ernest Nightray (Foster Brother)
Vanessa Nightray (Foster Sister)
Elliot Nightray (Foster Brother)
|Alias||The Head Hunter |
Sewer Rat (By Break)
|Manga Debut||Retrace XI: Grim|
|Anime Debut||Episode 9: Grim|
|Japanese Voice||Jun Fukuyama (Older) |
Fuyuka Ōura (Younger)
He appears as a man of about 23 years old, and is around 177 cm in height. He has long blond hair that reaches about to his waist. There is a cross on his uniform on the left side, which is matched by Elliot and Gil's at Isla Yura's party, suggesting this is a symbol of the Nightray household. He has one red eye on his right side (the symbol of a Child of Ill Omen), while his left eye is the same golden yellow as Gilbert's.
Vincent is both calculating and cold in personality. Once he has set his mind to an action, it seems he will stop at nothing to achieve his aims. For example, his obsession over Gilbert's happiness has lead to several poisoning attempts, and occasions in which Vincent has willingly endangered his own life. It appears that he lacks empathy towards other human beings, and only experiences guilt when Gilbert is involved (blaming himself for their mother abandoning them both, and The Tragedy which he believes has lead to Gil's current unhappiness). The only incident where we see him display regret outside of this is over his adopted brother, Elliot, whom he states was his favorite.
This detachment continues to Vincent's love life. He admits himself that he has 'shared the beds' of several high-class women and felt nothing but hatred, pity and disgust for all of them and their trusting natures. He goes further to say that he dislikes women, making him somewhat of a misogynist. It's likely that his mother caused an inability to trust women at all. His current victim is Ada Vessalius , who is the only example of someone able to unnerve and surprise him; and while he is irritated by her naïve tendencies, he continues to spend time with her.
He has sadistic tendencies, which include a predisposition towards torture. There is a strong possibility he has some form of obsessive compulsive disorder, displayed frequently in his destruction of stuffed animals, bedding and curtains with a pair of silver and gold scissors, or any pair just lying around. Each of these disorders are likely due to post-traumatic stress, induced by his experiences one-hundred years prior to the story's time line, where he was exposed to countless deaths and scenes of gore at an extemely young age.
Throughout the manga he shows strong ideals of loyalty towards family, displaying extreme disgust over Duke Nightray's use of his wife and children as bait and as experiments for his own personal gain.
As a child he was deeply scarred by the discrimination against his red eye. He only became comfortable about it after Jack Vessalius cut his fringe and claimed to love it. This was not before Alice incurred his hatred for it in a comment about its meaning. He displayed extreme hatred of Alice after his brother attacked her for bringing it up so harshly; after which she went and sobbed to Jack, who had only wanted to bring her company. He decided that she was his enemy, both for causing Gilbert to become violent and for making Jack feel even worse.
- To Gilbert Nightray
- "You don't remember? .... That's good."
- "Brother, that girl is no good..." (To Gil, about Ada)
- "Gilbert, I know everything about you... because we are connected by an extremely deep bond. No matter how far apart we are, we will surely return to the same place. Because that is our fate!"
- To Elliot Nightray
- "Would you much rather me or Oz kill you?"
- "I really liked you. It was only thanks to you that....Gil managed to live in that house without forgetting how to smile."
- To Ada Vessalius
- "I... I could never hate you!"
- To himself
- "No one needs to know what happened 100 years ago."
- "The sky, the people, and me... It's all so red!"
- "I want to protect with my own hands... That's right, I just wanted to protect."
- "Why on earth do I care about this girl's safety?"
- "Once again, I was only thinking about Gil."
- "I want Gilbert to stay in the sunshine forever. I want to give him a past... without me in it."
- To Bernard Nightray
- "You've let your own son die for the honor of you household and other such rubbish. You've lost almost all of your family, and yet all you can think of is your own interests." (To Duke Nightray before killing him)
(*) - Denotes that the character did not appear physically, but as a part of another characters' memories.
- According to Pandora Hearts 18.5: Evidence, Vincent is a Virgo, though he is born on the day of the Virgo/Libra cusp.
- Vincent feels that he can easily manipulate women, and frequently dates girls (such as Ada), but only does so if he feels it will benefit Gilbert.
- Break often refers Vincent as 'Sewer Rat'.
- Apparently, as shown in an omake, he hates carrots. The Retrace 42.5 omake also implies that he hates cats, like his brother.
- He is in love with his older brother,Gilbert
- Vincent was first adopted by the Baskerville Dukedom. So,he is a Baskerville. (But none of the Baskervilles are actually related,except Oswald and Lacie,and Vincent and Gilbert)