|This article is about the character 'Rufus Barma'. You may be looking for Rufus Barma (Chapter).|
|“||Tis as thou hast just said... I desire the information that be in thy hands.||”|
|Manga | Anime|
|Age||37 (Physically) |
|Height||176 cm (5'9ft)|
|Relatives||Arthur Barma (Ancestor) (†) |
Miranda Barma (Ancestor) (†)
Isla Yura (Unknown Relation) (†)
Unnamed Grandfather (†)
|Manga Debut||Retrace XXI: Discord|
|Anime Debut||Pandora Hearts Episode 21|
|Japanese Voice||Yuya Uchida|
Rufus Barma (ルーファス バルマ, Ruufasu Baruma) is the leader of the Barma Dukedom and one of the Four Great Dukes. Rufus is older than that of his fellow Dukes Sheryl Rainsworth, Bernard Nightray and Oscar Vessalius, and because of this he has a vast collection of knowledge that is always expanding. Rufus is known to have a contract with one of Glen Baskervilles's old Chains, Dodo, having made the contract at a young age. Rufus has been contracted to Dodo for around 30 years.
Rufus appears as a young man with long crimson hair that flows down Rufus' back and over his shoulders, while his bangs are brushed towards the right side of his face and a singular thick strand, an ahoge, sticks out atop his head. Rufus' eyes are dark grey and more oblong than that of the other characters, being because his family originated from a neighboring country. To add to his foreign appearance, Rufus' complexion is also considerably more pale than that of the other characters.
Rufus most commonly wears a thick, cream-colored robe that has a black collar, which Rufus keeps buttoned shut apart from a single button to allow Rufus' white ascot to show. The inside of this robe is a dark shade of red, and the robe itself is separated in two places at the front, to allow a long rectangular strip of fabric to hang before Rufus, covering his torso. Where the twin slits that create this rectangle of fabric end near the shoulders of the robe, a black belt that has gold detailing has been attached and strands of golden string hanging from the buttons that attach the belt to the robe. As well, on the robe there are crimson symbols of unknown meaning, on the cream colored fabric. Underneath, Rufus wears a white loose-fitting shirt, black tight-fitting pants and cuffed higher-heeled shoes.
Rufus also commonly appears in a different form, that being an illusion created by Dodo. This illusion Rufus appears as a large round man with a mustache, wild eyes and comical features, coupled with a hat shaped like a teacup (which actually contains tea). When Xerxes Break reveals this form to be nothing more than an illusion, Rufus reveals himself as the man always posing as Sheryl's valet.
Rufus is the longest-living Duke, and is thus particularly knowledgeable and has considerably high intellect. Through his accumulation of information, he is an apt judge of character and able to predict the reactions of people who he encounters. He is somewhat cold, heartless, shrewd, condescending, calculating and manipulative. He is self-centered, and this attribute leads him to withhold important information from the other Dukedoms, should it benefit him. He has a cynical attitude to other humans and states that he weighs their value in terms of their ability to contribute to his knowledge.
He detests the ability of people to change without his knowledge, as it renders the information he has attained obsolete. He angers Oz more often than Break does. Rufus acts as Sheryl's valet, and it is implied through the omakes that he has some romantic interest in her, although this love remains unrequited.
Rufus is also a pragmatist. He states that his motive for betraying Pandora and siding with the Baskervilles is to ensure the recognition or preservation of his own Dukedom. For this reason, his morality is rather ambigious.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Rufus has incredible intellect that he has collected over the course of his lifetime (due to his thirst for knowledge). Rufus has also displayed varying skill in hand-to-hand combat, using his bladed fan as a weapon that he's capable of holding his own against Xerxes Break's sword with.
Rufus holds a Legal Contract with the Black Winged Chain protecting the Barma Door to the Abyss, Dodo. Through the use of Dodo, Rufus is capable of projecting numerous illusions of absolutely anything which Rufus desires. Apart from projecting illusions, Dodo is also capable of prying open a distortion created between Earth and the Abyss, allowing Rufus access to the Abyss if he so desires; as well as the use of dark energy as a secondary offensive weapon if the need arises. Dodo also possesses phenomenal strength and endurance, however unlike his fellow Black Winged Chains, Dodo lacks the ability of flight due to the weight of his body and the size of his wings.
- "Fie upon thee. I can cause an opponent to die of shock with mine illusions. Prithee, liken our Chains not, as thy Chain is useless against humans. (Rufus compares Dodo and Mad Hatter's usefulness)
- " 'Tis as thou hast just said... I desire the information that be in thy hands."
- " And who dost thou think thou art refering to as the 'Bird-Brained Duke'?"
- Pandora will soon capitulate. And if that's the case... I will follow the stronger party and save the Barma House.
- Hatter, a few days ago... I finally finished deciphering Arthur Barma's notes. What was written there was Arthur Barma's confession. So I finally learned the truth about the Tragedy of Sablier. The truth about the man we all call a "hero"!
- "Drawest thou back, useless knave."
- "Thou... dost consider it troublesome to hide thy true self after provoking me on a previous occasion, I see."
- "Fret thee not. This time alone, the information cometh unto thee for thee."
- "The Barma family once devoted itself to researching alchemy and magic in its search for knowledge."
- "Five Sealing Stones were allocated to five trusted mages... and were to have been protected by each of them into the present."
- "What sayes thou? Shall I take over thy education and teach thee a lesson anew?
- Our promise, you say? That's why I've told you, sentimentality is a weakness of yours.
- I know everything.
- Information is power!
(*) - Denotes that the character did not appear physically, but as a part of other characters' memories
- Rufus' zodiac sign is Aries.
- He is the childhood friend of Sheryl Rainsworth, Sharon's grandmother, whom he fears as the way some characters fear Sharon. However, in the omake series titled, "Go For It! Little Reim (Liam)!" it was shown that he made a young Reim deliver some love letters to her, and in another omake he explained that his reason for not having bodyguards or attendants is to be close to (and alone with) her.
- He is based on the caterpillar from the Alice books.
- In Retrace XLIII: Crown of Clown, it is shown that Rufus has a pet Lorikeet, a reference to the fact that a Lory took part in the Caucus Race in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
- He is called "Bird-Brained Duke" by both Alice and Break, interestingly enough, Rufus called Isla Yura this as well in Retrace XLVIII.
- Rufus' speaks in an older form of the Japanese language, making his speech more complex compared to all the other characters.