|“||Lacie Baskerville, with my Chains of conviction, I pass judgement upon you. Your sin is that of being born with the eyes of a Child of Misfortune, which threatens the peace of the Abyss."||”|
—Oswald before banishing Lacie to the Abyss.
|Manga | Anime|
|Occupation||Head of the Baskerville Family|
|Previous Occupation||Glen Baskerville's assistant|
|Base of Operations||The Baskerville Estate|
Intention of the Abyss (Niece)
|Manga Debut||Retrace XVII: Odds and Ends|
|Japanese Voice||Taniyama Kishou|
Oswald was brought into the Baskerville family alongside his sister, Lacie, in order to become the successor to the Glen Baskerville of the time, Levi. Oswald was the last to officially inherit the title of 'Glen', as Vincent interupted the Accession Ceremony Oswald was performing on his own potential successor, Gilbert, before the Tragedy of Sablier. Jack Vessalius was Oswald's best friend, but in the end had used Oswald to accquire more information on the Abyss. Miranda Barma targeted Oswald to attempt to obtain his head in an act of obsessive love.
During the Tragedy, Jack murdered Oswald, much to his regret, because Oswald planned on killing Alice because of her ties to the Intention of the Abyss. Oswald's soul migrated to the next vessel destined to inherit the title of Glen nearly 100 years later when Leo was born, remaining dormant within Leo's subconscious because Jack had used Oswald's dismembered body to permanently lock Oswald's soul away.
With the five Sealing Stones now destroyed, Oswald has full control of Leo's body. Oswald now intends to execute Oz in Jack's body in present day before traveling back in time in order to kill Lacie so that he can prevent Jack from meeting her, Oz's, Alice's and the Intention of the Abyss' birth and the Tragedy of Sablier.
Oswald has tired violet eyes and shoulder-length black hair. Oswald wears a black overcoat that fades into the colour red as it nears the bottom overtop of a navy blue vest, and underneath this is a white dress shirt. Oswald also wears black pants, a white ascot and a cape that had belonged to him ever since he succeeded Levi as Glen Baskerville. The collar of this cape is longer on the right side, and although it's meant to rest on his shoulders, Oswald wears it only on his right shoulder, letting the left side of the cape drape down his back slightly. The left side of the cape is only supported because Oswald wraps it around his left arm. Occasionally, Oswald is also shown to wear studs in his ears.
Oswald is considered to be very handsome by many in the series. Upon first sight, Miranda Barma had developed an obsessive love for Oswald. Oswald's own servant named Charlotte had also developed strong feelings for her master, which have remained even after 100 years.
He appeared to be a quiet and gentle person. It was his job to monitor people who come around the Baskerville mansion, other nobles, and Glen. He seemed to be an all-around good person, and will constantly criticize himself more often than others. He seemed to be withdrawn, and rightly questioned the loyalty of those around him as the Glen. He seemed to show particular interest in Jack though, due to a curiousity of why Jack made him uneasy and showed no signs of his "true" purpose or intent. Oswald wondered if Jack had a true personality lying underneath his open personality. He seemed to be on good terms with his master, Levi, and kept up with him as he tried to remain serious in his position. With Lacie, he seems to often disagree, but they forgive each other. He cared about Lacie deeply, and blamed himself for the fact that Lacie was born a Child of Ill Omen and had to be cast into the Abyss. He later took up caring for the child Alice as penance, and grew attached to her, as well as his successor as Glen, Gilbert, whom Jack had found for him in the streets of Sablier. Oswald is extrememly strict with himself, and fully believes in the rumor that as Head he is surrounded by misfortune, and is the cause of it as well. Oswald's personality is noticably different while a part of the combined soul of Glen Baskerville, often speaking harshly to Leo.
- To Lacie
- "Do you know this man, Lacie?"
- "Lacie Baskerville, with my Chains of conviction, I pass judgement upon you, your sin…is that of being born with the eyes of a Child of Misfortune; which threatens the peace of the Abyss."
- "When you're gone...I will be...lonely without you."
- To Gilbert Nightray
- "Are you going to betray me...Gilbert?"
- “What’s the matter…Where you unable to fall asleep again?”
- (To Gilbert about Oz) "Gilbert. Shoot him."
- “…There’s no helping it. The night before my first ceremony I couldn’t get to sleep at all.”
- “That’s right. But after doing the same thing four times…I got used to the unpleasantness. Be rest assured. Since it is your first time, be as nervous as you want about it.”
- “…Gilbert, do you love Jack?”
- “…I see. Yes, that’s right. I too, more than anything else, cannot doubt that guy, and want to continue being his friend—-…”
- To Jack Vessalius
- "Yes. Like a stretch of water so silent and still, even fish avoid it. When you look into it, the only thing you see is your own reflection. You can't see his true nature. Even though he's right in front of me… I can't shake the uncomfortable feeling that no one's actually there…"
- "Lacie is dead...I killed her"
- "Are you insane!? What if you fall?"
- "Jack ... what did you see?"
- "No. My job is to keep watch on everyone of importance. This is the first time we've actually met."
- To Alice
- "So it's you today?"
- "I thought I told you to do something about that language of yours."
- To Levi
- "You're right. I couldn't help but be interested in him."
- "It's just since I first saw him I couldn't help wondering… Why does this man make my skin crawl?"
- "It's not easy to put into words."
- "To me… Jack Vessalius… feels like water."
(*) - Denotes that the character did not appear physically, but as a part of another characters' memories.
- Oswald's zodiac sign is Pisces.
- In Retrace LXXI: Black Rabbit, it is revealed that Alice named her rabbit doll 'Os' after her encounter with Oswald. Levi then corrected the name to 'Oz'.
- In many omakes, Oswald is often shown to have a bird on his head. Also, in the manga, Oswald was shown once sleeping with a bird on his head. Levi is occasionally shown in this way as well, suggesting that birds are attracted to the soul of Glen Baskerville.
- Oswald was the last to officially inherit the Glen name as the tradition of passing on the name died with him during the Tragedy of Sablier. The title was given to Leo as the vessel for Glen Baskerville a century later through an unconventional manner.